Have you heard on the news that peanut butter can kill dogs? This is important information for pet owners to be aware of.

Is ALL peanut butter dangerous to dogs?

 

 

Generally speaking, no. Peanut butter alone is not toxic. However, there are new kinds of peanut butter coming onto the market that look A LOT like other types of peanut butter. The catch? They’re sweetened with xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to dogs.

What is this toxic sweetener?

 

 

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in certain brands of peanut butter, toothpaste, chewing gum and countless other products.

 

[RELATED: Eat This, Not That: The Top 3 People Foods Poisonous to Dogs]

Where can I find more information?

 

In this episode of Ask Dr. Andy, our faithful veterinarian tackles this question. Please make sure your pets are safe, and consider spreading the word to help others.

 

 

(Remember: The name of the toxic ingredient is xylitol).

Comments

comments